McGinley Kalsow & Associtates
 
  Home
  About
  Portfolio
  Clients
 
  Contact
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
     
     
     
     
     
 
  The Parkman Bandstand

Boston, Massachusetts
1998 Massachusetts Architectural Access Board Design Award
1998 Boston Preservation Alliance Preservation Award

The historic Parkman Bandstand is located near the northeast corner of the Boston Common, a National Historic Landmark. The structure was erected in 1912 as a memorial to George F. Parkman, a generous benefactor of the Boston Park system. Designed by the Boston firm of Derby, Robinson and Shepard, the structure appears to be a modified copy of the Temple d'Amour at the Petit Trianon, Versailles, France. MKA designed new cast stone cladding for the dome, new cast iron steel railings and terrazzo flooring to replicate missing and severely damaged original elements. The granite base and marble columns were restored and cleaned. The pavilion was made handicapped accessible and the result has been to create an architectural centerpiece in Boston Common.


 
previous next
     
           
  Contact Us Site Credits