||Commanding Officer’s Quarters Restoration & Conversion to Municipal Function Facility
2000 Massachusetts Historical Commission Honorable Mention
2000 Massachusetts Architectural Access Board Honor Design Award
2000 Watertown Historical Commission Preservation Award
The Commanding Officers Quarters, Building 111, was built in 1865 as an ornate Italianate style residence. The Olmsted Brothers designed the surrounding landscape in 1919. McGinley Kalsow & Associates first prepared a Historic Structures Report and application to the federal government to transfer the residence and surrounding landscape to the Town of Watertown for no cost. MKA then assisted the Town in applying and receiving a Massachusetts Historical Commission's Project Preservation Fund Grant. Space planning and contract documents were developed for the restoration of the building and its conversion into a municipal function and meeting facility with a complete commercial kitchen that is rented for private parties. The project was publicly bid and awarded on schedule for less than the projected budget. The restoration provided new handicap access to the building and carefully incorporated new mechanical, electrical and egress systems without compromising important historic interiors.