|Governor Bellingham-Cary House
2006 Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award
The Governor Bellingham-Cary House is one of the most significant remaining properties associated with the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Bellingham was Deputy Governor between 1635 and 1648 and then Governor from 1648 to 1661. He utilized the present property as a summer house until his death in 1672. The Bellingham-Cary House Association purchased the property and has maintained and operated the house museum since 1912. MKA has assisted the Association with a variety of preservation assignments over the past 20 years. In the late 1980s the firm assisted the Association with interim structural repairs funded with a MHC grant. An updated Historic Structure Report was prepared in 1996 to guide further preservation efforts. In 1997 MKA designed the first phase of restoration to preserve the exterior of the house. In 2004 the firm was again engaged to design and supervise the interior restoration of the entire first floor including interior structural repairs and restoration of all historic fabric and finishes.