||Rockport Community House
Recognized with Preservation Award
May 2011: The Rockport Community House was recognized with a 2011 Preservation
Award from the Massachusetts Historical Commission. Constructed in 1865 as a one-room schoolhouse, the Community House served as the first high school in town. Over the next forty years, the school was expanded four times to its present four-room configuration. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
McGinley Kalsow & Associates led the sensitive rehabilitation of the interior space designed to meet the ongoing use of the building as a meeting place for all groups needing space, while accommodating the permanent relocation of the Rockport Council on Aging. The original interior was restored while bringing the entire building into current compliance with all applicable codes including accessibility. The project also included extensive landscaping and site improvements.
The award was presented by Secretary of the Commonwealth William F. Galvin and MHC Executive Director Brona Simon during a special ceremony on May 25, 2011 at the Massachusetts Archives.