||Cardinal O’Malley Dedicates Amesbury’s
Holy Family Parish Center
June 2010: Cardinal Shaun O’Malley dedicated the new Holy Family Parish Center in Amesbury at a special ceremony on June 26, 2010.
The two masonry buildings are part of a 19th Century four-building complex and had been vacant for over 30 years.
In order to complete the needed restoration within two years and match construction expenditures to fundraising, McGinley Kalsow & Associates developed a five-phase program.
The 1880s school building, formerly St. Joseph School, was converted into the Parish Center, housing meeting rooms, the youth center, classrooms and offices.
The exterior of the buildings were completely restored to their original appearance. The buildings qualified for Advanced Building Performance standards and associated rebates.
A historically inappropriate 1923 addition was removed from the front of the building and the original facade was restored while being made fully accessible.
Originally scheduled for demolition, the restoration of these two buildings generated broad support and enthusiasm throughout the entire community.