McGinley Kalsow & Associtates
 
  Home
  About
  Principals
  News
 
  Portfolio
  Contact
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
     
     
     
     
     
 
  Grand Opening at Georges Island

July 2010: Georges Island celebrated its grand opening on July 14 after ten months of construction that included the renovation and restoration of the Mine Storage, Cable Tank and Generator Buildings. McGinley Kalsow & Associates led the design team for the comprehensive exterior and interior restoration of three buildings. The 1905 Mine Storage Building includes a new state-of-the-art Visitors Center, expanded public bathroom, gift shop, first aid station, rangerís seasonal housing and conference area. The Cable Tank Building follows the form and footprint of the 1905 original building which had been removed in the 1960s and features a shade shelter and a new concession stand. The Generator Building now houses batteries to store electricity for a new 32 KVA photovoltaic array to reduce the use of diesel fuel to generate electricity for the island. Landscaping and site utility improvements were also part of the comprehensive restoration. Georges Island is part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Park area managed by DCR. This project is an important example of a public/private partnership between the Boston Harbor Island Alliance and DCR. The island was used for agriculture until the Federal government acquired it for defense purposes in 1825. In 1958 the island was transferred to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and three years later it was opened to the public for recreational purposes. Governor Deval Patrick was the keynote speaker for the grand opening ceremony.

 
     
           
  Contact Us Site Credits