McGinley Kalsow & Associtates
 
  Home
  About
  Principals
  News
 
  Portfolio
  Contact
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
     
     
     
     
     
 
  Georges Island Visitor Center
Recognized with BPA Preservation Award

October 2011: McGinley Kalsow's restoration of the Georges Island Visitor Center was recognized with a 2011 Preservation Achievement Award by the Boston Preservation Alliance. The award was presented in a special ceremony at the Paramount Theater on October 6 and was recognized under the category of Rehabilitation/Restoration Preserving Boston's Architectural Heritage.

The Restoration and Development of Georges Island focused on a new Visitor Center and related facilities that feature the revitalization of historic Georges Island and the history of Fort Warren, a National Historic Landmark. The historic former Mine Storage Building at the head of the pier was sensitively renovated and adaptively reused as the Island's Visitor Center. It contains a vivid interpretive museum of the Island's 300 years as a major military element in the defense of Boston Harbor. The Mine Storage Building was built and completed in 1906 to serve as a center for the overall protective mining of Boston Harbor throughout WWI and WWII. In addition, the Visitor Center includes DCR administrative facilities on the upper floor along with meeting facilities and housing for seasonal staff. Immediately adjacent to the Mine Storage Building, a new Shade Shelter with food and restroom facilities was designed and constructed on the foundation of the former wooden Cable Tank Building, which was demolished after the fort was decommissioned, and was also an integral component of the mining operation along with the pier facilities. The entire area of the new Visitor Center was also landscaped with historically-related materials, benches and interpretive signage to strengthen the relationship between the Visitor Center, Fort Warren and other historic and natural features of the island.

The new Visitor Center and related facilities sensitively renovate a badly deteriorated historic resource and create a strong attraction to a National Historic Landmark and to the overall Boston Harbor Islands National Park Area. The joint partnership between the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation and the private Boston Harbor Island Alliance initiated this preservation project in a join effort that planned, designed, funded, constructed and now operates a major historic cultural facility that is the cornerstone for the rebirth of the Boston Harbor Islands.

June 2011: The Boston Preservation Alliance recognized the Georges Island Visitor Center with a 2011 Preservation Award in the category of Rehabilitation/Restoration Preserving Boston's Heritage. McGinley Kalsow & Associates led the team responsible for the restoration and revitalization of Georges Island that focused on a new Visitor Center and related facilities. NEI was the general contractor for the project.

The historic former Mine Storage Building at the head of the pier was sensitively renovated and adaptively reused as the Island's Visitor Center. It contains a vivid interpretive museum of the Island's 300 years as a major military element in the defense of Boston Harbor. The Mine Storage Building was built and completed in 1906 to serve as a center for the overall protective mining of Boston Harbor throughout WWI and WWII. In addition, the Visitor Center includes DCR administrative facilities on the upper floor along with meeting facilities and housing for seasonal staff.

Immediately adjacent to the Mine Storage Building, a new Shade Shelter with food and restroom facilities was designed and constructed on the foundation of the former wooden Cable Tank Building that was demolished after the fort was decommissioned. The new Georges Island Visitor Center and support facilities are now a vibrant center of the Boston Harbor Island National Park Area.

 
     
           
  Contact Us Site Credits